Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Our Top 10 Disney Memories

We thought we would start by sharing with you each of our Top 10 Disney Memories. We have made so many memories over the years with both our families and each other.  It is these memories that keep us coming back. We hope you learn a little more about us as we share these special moments.

Courtney’s Top 10 Disney Memories
Putting together this Top 10 List was quite difficult. I have been lucky to grow-up in a Disney-loving family which has led to making memories around the world through our travels.  So here are just a few of my favorites:
10. Food and Wine Trips with my friend, Brenna


Food and Wine is one of my favorite times to go to EPCOT but it is even better when I go with my best friend Brenna. Unfortunately, Brenna is currently in D.C. so our Food and Wine dates have been put on hold. But I will always remember the fun times we had with our Moms as we tried new foods, discovered our Mom's Asian twins, and played in phone booths.

  9. Driving a pontoon boat around the Seven Seas Lagoon  


Derek and I have celebrated a few anniversaries at Disney but our anniversary to celebrate 2 years together will always stand out. The day started off with a ride around the Seven Seas Lagoon in our own pontoon boat! It was so fun to drive the boat around the lagoon and get close to the hotels and the Magic Kingdom. If that wasn’t enough, we also had dinner at Hoop-Dee-Doo and watched the fireworks from the beach at Fort Wilderness! It was a magical day from beginning to end.
           
  8. Ringing in the new Millennium at EPCOT


My family visited Disney to ring in the year 2000 when I was 11. We arrived at EPCOT bright and early and stayed there all day. I remember it being really busy and having to stake out our spot in World Showcase early in the day. But it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience. It was fun to see the different countries celebrate New Years and Illuminations was amazing. If you ever have a chance to be in Disney for New Years Eve, do it!
  7. Attending the Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest Premiere at Disneyland


 In 2006, my family visited California for my high school graduation. While we were there the world premiere for the new Pirates movie was scheduled at Disneyland. We really didn't think we would have a chance to see anything, however, after breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen we headed over to the park. It was really crazy on Main Street but we were able to find a spot right by the red carpet around noon. It was a long wait that day but completely worth it. We saw so many celebrities and were literally feet away from Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom! Another once in a lifetime opportunity thanks to Disney.

  6. Riding Tower of Terror with Derek for the first time


Thrill rides are not my thing, especially Tower of Terror; I hate drops. Derek, on the other hand, love them. I went on Tower of Terror when I was younger and it only dropped once, that I could handle. However, when Derek and I started dating I decided to attempt it again. I don't think I have ever held someone so tight before, just ask Derek! It might not be my favorite attraction but I will never forget riding it with Derek.

  5. Being a part of the Barbie Show at EPCOT
 

When I was younger they had a Barbie show in the American Garden Theater at EPCOT. They always picked a girl to go up on stage and receive a Barbie "makeover." We watched the show numerous times because I absolutely love it. On one trip to EPCOT,  my amazing family sat through two shows for me to be the lucky girl to get picked. I loved every minute of it, even the kiss from Ken!

  4. Walking with Roger Rabbit to ToonTown


My family used to attend the Disneyana Convention every year. I have so many great memories from these. One of the years in Disneyland, they had a party in ToonTown that I will never forget. On our way into the park for the event, Roger Rabbit grabbed my hand and started walking to ToonTown. At this time my brother was in a stroller, so my mom was racing behind us trying to keep up! But Roger Rabbit didn't mind, he just kept going. The characters at Disney are so great and really help create many of the best memories.

  3. Watching the Candlelight Processional with my Mom




Christmas is one of my favorite times to visit the parks. My mom and I have a tradition to attend Candlelight together every year. We have seen Jodi Benson, Neil Patrick Harris, Marlee Matlin, John Stamos and many others as narrators. Candlelight is such a magical, moving show and I would not trade that time with my Mom for anything; I can’t wait for the years to come.

2. Cruising to Alaska with the Disney Cruise Line

  
I have been on numerous Disney cruises around the world with my family but the one that sticks out the most is our Alaskan Cruise. We had an amazing vacation complete with totem poles, snow, whales, trains, and a helicopter ride to a glacier. Not to mention, I got to celebrate my birthday on the cruise. Disney cruises are always full of memories and this one was no exception.

  1.  Watching Wishes with Derek


Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom are a classic Disney moment. But sharing them with someone you love makes them even more special. One of my favorite things to do when it is cooler out, is to watch the fireworks with Derek while sipping hot chocolate. It is a truly magical moment that you can only experience at Disney.



Derek’s Top 10 Disney Memories


10. EPCOT Water


If you have ever been to WDW, then you have most likely noticed the smell of the water in many of the various aquatic attractions at the parks. WDW apparently uses a specific water agent to keep it overly clean and kill everything that would grow in it. For some reason, EPCOT’s is the strongest, and it’s never more apparent than in the main atrium of the Land pavilion. Throughout my visits to Disney, the memory of that water smell has just been pervasive, and it’s one of the few smells that I can call to mind easily.
9. The Magic Behind our Steam Trains Tour


As a mix birthday and Christmas present, Freckles, aka Courtney,  took me to do Magic Kingdom’s the Magic Behind our Steam Trains Tour. Besides having to be at the park at the crack of dawn (which gives great views, however), it’s an amazing thing to try out. We were able to take a mostly empty ride around the park, and backed into the train depot, to listen to the engineers tell stories, the histories of the railroads and engines, and show off various parts and handling of the engines. For me, steam engines are the pinnacle in mechanical engineering, and it was amazing to see them up close.

8. Curry in Japan



After my first trip to Japan, I fell in love with a very reproduced dish known as curry. Now, there are many types out there. My particular favorite is Japanese curry; it’s like a curried stew. Since it’s not such a big deal outside of Japan, it’s hard to find curry other than making your own with curry packs. Imagine my surprise to find very great curry served in a small little restaurant at EPCOT. I usually go quite often and grab a bite, sometimes with a bowl of miso. I’ve gone so many times with Freckles, and more so by myself, to sit and reflect, and often catch Illuminations as the park closes.

7. Space Mountain Behind the Scenes, MGM Studios ASME Tour


Recently, UCF’s ASME worked out where 10 students would be allowed to take a behind the scenes tour of Space Mountain, to see how it was built, the maintenance bays, and just see the park workings in general. It was eye opening to see many of the parts and engineering to a ride so little see up close. I also had a chance to talk with an excellent Disney engineer, Mark White, about his own experiences.

Related in scope, the yearly ASME conference was being held at the Dolphin Resort on WDW property. As part of the conference, there was to be a behind the scenes tour of MGM.  I managed to get in, and had the chance to see the workings of Midway Mania, Star Tours, and Fantasmic, as well as annoy the Engineer we toured with many questions.

6. Various Park Anniversaries and Events


Similar to the previous, due to my close proximity to the parks, I’ve had the fortune to come to many of the special events for  the major park milestones lately, as well as events like Star Wars Weekends. I really enjoy getting up early or waiting in lines for the chance to see Imagineers or other industry folks reminisce or tell stories about how they did it or what was done. Sometimes, you get a chance to ask questions or talk with them, but most often, you get to just listen, and as I often do, take many notes. Other events, like Star Wars Weekends, allow for many people to just get together and enjoy themselves with fellow fans. It’s been especially fun to check these out with Freckles, and enjoy such a nerdy occasion with her.

5. First trip on the DCL



While Freckles is a cruising veteran, I had only been on a couple, and not with DCL. I happened to voyage on a short winter trip on the Wonder with  all her art deco excellence. I can’t begin to say how much I loved everything; the shows, the food stations, the beautiful artwork, Castaway Cay’s little details. There’s so much you can do on the ship, who would even leave? I absolutely loved the food, too, especially the random food buffets and the top deck food stops. Animator’s Palate and Palo were excellent, in terms of what to see, and what to eat. It was a great little trip, and I can’t wait to go to sea again :) I did happen to take a trip later, on the New Dream the summer it began its voyages. I even got a chance to take Courtney’s family a place they had never been; definitely a reversal.

4. Dining with an Imagineer


In another combo birthday, Christmas gift, Freckles took me on an exclusive experience: Dining with an Imagineer. It’s a limited dining engagement that Disney does, where one can dine at the Brown Derby in MGM with a pre-fixe menu (that includes excellent favorites). While dining, you also get to enjoy the company of an Imagineer, who then will discuss the weather with you. We had the luck to dine with a more well known and social Imagineer, Jason Grandt. We also had the fortune to dine with his mother, which led to a very interesting experience. They both told many stories about his experiences leading to being an Imagineer; it was an awesome experience to talk with such a great guy and his mother.

3. Memories from Kindergarten Family Trip


There are many things that have an impression on me, and what stand in my mind through time.. I previously mentioned EPCOT water; that counts as one of those. I have so many memories that sit in my mind from a trip to WDW my family took early into my Kindergarten year. We took a train down to Orlando, which alone was excellent; I’ve never taken a long distance train trip before or since. However, so many details from older, classic attractions really had an impact on me, and I remember certain points that really impressed and amazed me, and made me realize how cool what I was seeing was. The Sea Castle, and space scene in Horizons, the future city in World of motion, traveling into the jet engine in Delta Dreamflight, floating over London in Peter Pan, missing the train in Mr. Toad’s WIld Ride... So many others... I could list so much. They just sit on my mind, and I remember some of these better than many other points.

2. Experiencing Tokyo DisneySea



My first year in Japan with my family, we took a trip into Tokyo. We had a chance to explore and enjoy ourselves among the massive city, and then had the pleasure to check out the famed Oriental Land Co. owned Tokyo Disneyland. The Land half is excellent, obviously quite different than the ones found here in the States. You figure out quickly the difference in Japanese culture to our own. We had a chance to see the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion, as well as many other attractions in Japanese. We also had managed to see the famous curry popcorn cart (unfortunately, due to it’s legendary line length, we had to skip it :( )

However, the true star here is the Sea half. I can’t even begin to talk about how awesome it is. The entrance is modeled as a seaside Italian town, with this massive spinning globe in a fountain in the square, before the entrance. It opens to this bay, overlooked by a volcano, Mt. Prometheus, that hides Captain Nemo’s base, as well as houses an excellent jaunt to the center of the earth. There also the Stormrider, which is crazy in story, and like a 4D version of Star Tours. They have an electric trolley, and an American Waterfront with a replica cruising ship, and a unique take on the Tower of Terror. There’s also the voyages of Sinbad, a Little Mermaid Coaster, and until Fantasmic arrived, they had this excellent night show. Oh, and the Volcano erupts. It was amazing... I cannot wait to go back.

1. Freckles on thrill rides


This is more about any time with my love, but I figured I’d focus on what’s fun to do. Someone is absolutely terrified of thrill rides, and for some reason, she’ll ride some, but not others. I can’t drag her on, and she won’t go. However, I’ll have to be content with the few times she’s been cowered in fear or buried so far in my side. I love to be with her at all times; we tend to just cause mayhem and go crazy wherever we are, and it’s great to have someone to enjoy it with. One day I may get her on everything, but until then, I’ll love watching her cower at everything we do enjoy :)



We would love to hear your favorite Disney memory! Share in the comments below.

1 comment:

Brenna said...

This is so cute! Courtney, I got all teary-eyed when I saw that our food and wine adventures made the list. I love you! I hope that I'll be able to travel to Florida during F&W again soon so we can go together :)